Thursday, October 3, 2013

Introduction



Hello Everybody,

My name is Ryan Acevedo and I am from Caruthers, California which is just South of Fresno. This is my tenth class at National University as I am working towards my single subject credential in physical education.
Currently I work at Caruthers High School, which is also my alma mater, where I am an everyday substitute and coach. In the short time that I have been working in education I have had two long term stints, one in physical education (4 months) and one is special education (1 month), so I have gained a lot of experience having to be a real teacher. During these stints I went through grading periods and having to lesson plan for the class activities. At the high school I am the head JV football coach and also a varsity baseball assistant.           
Before National University I attended and played college baseball at Fresno Pacific University. I graduated with a B.A. in Kinesiology-Exercise Science in 2011. Honestly athletics are my passion and they are what got me into educational system. After college baseball and a short stint in independent pro baseball were over, I decided to give back and head into the coaching world, which lead to my interest in teaching and my current job. I love the fact that as an educator we have the chance to influence lives and shape today’s youth into contributing members of society.
According to the personality test my closest personality type is ENFP and a close second was ENTP. It also stated that my leadership style revolves around being a change oriented leader. I can see this leadership style in my teaching and coaching style because I am not one to get set in my ways with blinders on. I like to keep my mind wide open and always accept new ideas to make myself better and/or improve. I feel that many times in education that teachers sometimes get stuck in doing the same thing year in and year out never progressing in their techniques. The way I look at it is that if you stick to the same routine that usually you become outdated and therefore passed up. I feel that being a teacher you must reevaluate every year and build upon your personal techniques with new information so that you are continuously ahead of the pack and providing the students the best learning experience possible.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ryan,
    I see we have a sports fanatic in the group. You sound busy with subbing in PE and in Special Education. Are you going for your degree in special education too? I am not much of a sports person, but I do enjoy the gym. It's great that you want to give back. PE allows students to gain confidence, release stress, and become team players. I give you a lot of credit.
    I love your teaching philosophy on changing things up. Teachers do get stuck in ruts and often don't like to change what they are comfortable with doing. It is a great idea to reevaluate each year, as your students change and the dynamics of the class become different. As far as curriculum goes, with the new common core, things have to change. Teachers need to find new ways to deliver the standards and pull up the overall achievement at every level. Things do indeed change whether you like it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ryan,
    I completely agree that it is important to "reevaluate every year and build upon your personal techniques". There is so much value that students gain from having a dynamic teacher that is willing to change it up.
    I have worked as a computer tech on a high school campus for 4 years and the teachers that the students actually loved and did the work for, where the ones that took a fairly fresh approach each new year and evaluated the needs and wants of their students. From there, they would adapt their lessons so that new things were added, instead of doing the same thing, year after year.
    It's great to see that with your background in sports, that you are pursuing a teaching career in PE where you can put a lot of your own personal passion of sports into building that dynamic environment with your students. I have found that the best teachers are the ones who love what they are teaching, and are willing to go out of their way to keep it interesting for their students. I subbed for PE in the past, and it is definitely a secondary cert that I plan to obtain in the future. I really enjoyed it, and sometime in the future would love to transition into the PE department. While I love what I am teaching, I love coaching and being physically active even more.
    Good luck and I wish you the best in your teaching career!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete